Saturday 23 July 2016

AMK Mig 31 B/BS
Review Build
Part 1 


Following on from my box review of AMK's latest boxing of the Mig 31 Foxhound. I have, as promised started this build review. This part covers the engines and intake assemblies. My first impressions on test fitting the parts are that AMK have, once again produced another beauty. The quality of the fit rivals, if not exceeds some kits from the 'big' manufacturers. Parts fit well requiring no trimming and only require removal of the sprue gate marks left after removing the parts from the main sprue trees. Some of the parts litrerally 'click' together.
 

The first assembly that the instructions call for is the assembly of the rear part of the engines. My research shows that these are painted green when new but with use and the passing of time build up with a 'sandy' coloured exhaust deposit along with some 'sooting'.
I painted the the interior surfaces with MR. Paint US WWII interior green which seems to be a very close match to the reference photos I found on the web. The interior was then weathered with Tamiya Weathering System pigments. Starting with sand and building up with soot and oil stain. I'm pleased with the end result which is what I had in my mind's eye at the start of the stage.
 


The next stage was to put all the engine parts in one half of the engine casings, the turbine assemblies having been painted with Alclad Burnt Iron. All the parts fit well and are located with a 'peg and slot' arangement.


Final assembly of the engine was to cement the opposite half of the engine. Once set the outer surface was again painted with Alclad Burnt Iron. I may pick out some of the impressive detail but I doubt any of it will ever be seen.
 

The next stage that the instructions called for is the assembly of the superbly detailed engine air intakes. Before assembly these were sprayed with Alclad Dull Aluminium, then weathered with a dark grey-black Mig AMMO wash. This really picked out the detail nicely.
 

 Once assembled the intakes look great and the wash add the grimy 'engine look'.


The next stage was to add the undercarriage bays, these were again painted with Alclad 
Dull Aluminium and again weathered with Mig AMMO wash.

This concludes part one of my review build, I plan that the next part will cover assembly of the undercarriage bays and placing the engines in the fuselage, but this of course is subject to how long I can find time to spend at the modelling bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment